1. Salvatore Campisi: Longitudinal follow-up of aneurysm growth using 4D MRI and biomechanical analyses, in collaboration with http://www.chu-st-etienne.fr/
2. Lucie Derycke: Automatic sizing of aortic stent grafts using numerical simulation, in collaboration with http://www.predisurge.com
3. Federica Galbiati (co-supervision: Claire Morin, within the https://meditate-project.eu ITN Project): Patient-specific prediction of aneurysm growth and rupture in the ascending thoracic aorta
4. Beatrice Bisighini (co-supervision: Baptiste Pierrat, Miquel Aguirre, within the https://meditate-project.eu ITN Project): Modelling and 3D printing for intracranial aneurysms surgery
5. Rahul Vellaparambil (co-supervision: Woo-Suck Han, within the https://meditate-project.eu ITN Project): Simulating endovascular aortic repair towards assessing long-term treatment implications
6. Francesco Bardi (co-supervision: Miquel Aguirre, Sabrina Ben Ahmed, Simona Celi - Fondazione Toscana G. Monasterio, within the https://meditate-project.eu ITN Project): Tissue characterization and endovascular aortic repair in a circulatory mock loop
7. Marta Bracco (co-supervision: Alexandre This, Laurence Rouet – Philips, Pier-Paolo Valentini – University of Rome Tor Vergata, within the https://meditate-project.eu ITN Project): Personalized Ultrasound-based mechanical characterization of abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA).
8. Andranik Petrosyan: Elasticity assessment of mitral valve and chordae in mitral valve regurgitation, in collaboration with http://www.chu-st-etienne.fr/
10. Hamza Zaidi (from University of Lyon, supervisor: Christophe Marquette): 3D bioprinting of skin for regenerative medicine: mechanobiology and stressed culture
13. Mateus Américo de Almeida: Patient-specific numerical modeling of the biomechanics of leg lymphedema under elastic compression.
14. Kundry Reibel (co-supervision: Fanette Chassagne, Baptiste Pierrat): Biomechanics of atrial cardiopathies.
Past PhD students:
As Junior Advisor:
1. Hocine CHALAL (2005): Experimental identification of a damage model for composites using the grid technique coupled to the virtual fields method. Now Hocine is assistant Professor at ENSAM Metz (France): https://artsetmetiers.fr/fr/campus/metz
2. Yannick PANNIER (2006): Identification of elasto-plastic constitutive parameters from statically undetermined tests using the virtual fields method. Now Yannick is assistant professor at ENSMA Poitiers (France): https://www.ensma.fr/
3. José XAVIER (2007): Experimental approach for stiffness characterization of clear wood using a single test. Now José is assistant professor at Universidade NOVA de Lisboa (Portugal): https://novaresearch.unl.pt/en/persons/jos%C3%A9-xavier
4. Bao Qiao GUO (2008): Identification of stiffness and damping material parameters using the virtual fields method. Now BaoQiao is researcher at the Beijing Institute of Technology (China): http://shock.bit.edu.cn/Home/zncy2/js2/Baoqiao_GUO.htm
5. Jin-Hwan KIM (2008): Identification of damage distribution in impacted composite plates using the virtual fields method. Now Jin is research associate professor at Postech (Korea): http://gift.postech.ac.kr/bbs/board.php?bo_table=sub5_2&wr_id=1
6. The Vinh TRAN (2008): Refined approach for the identification of elasto-plastic constitutive parameters using the virtual fields method. Now Vinh is engineer at Berthold SA (France): https://viadeo.journaldunet.com/p/the-vinh-tran-6227046
As Senior Advisor:
7. Laura BOUTEN (2009): Identification of mechanical properties of the leg’s constitutive tissues for the mechanical study of the elastic compression. Now Laura is research and development engineer at Decathlon (France): https://fr.linkedin.com/in/laura-bouten-02081219
8. Laura DUBUIS (2011): Measurement of deformations in the calf using MRI and FE modelling of the effects of compression stocking. Now Laura is assistant professor at University of Lyon (France): https://fr.linkedin.com/in/lauradubuis
9.- Tristan BELZACQ (2012): Modelling of the blood flow in the stenosed carotid: Model updating using velocity profiles measured with MRI
10. Alexandre FRANQUET (2012): Identification of heterogeneous hyperelastic properties of human soft tissues using medical imaging. Now Alexandre is research and development engineer at Microval (France): https://fr.linkedin.com/in/alexandre-franquet-phd-1444632b
11. Nicolas DEMANGET (2012): Optimization of the structure of aortic stent grafts for improving their durability. Now Nicolas is research and development engineer at Depuy (France): https://fr.linkedin.com/in/nicolas-demanget-4310b92b
12. Fabien MUNOZ (2013): Intradiscal pressure assessment from a finite element model and radiographs
13. Pierre-Yves ROHAN (2013): Biomechanical study of veins in the compressed human legs. Now Pierre-Yves is assistant professor at ENSAM Paris (France): https://fr.linkedin.com/in/pierreyvesrohan
14. Baptiste PIERRAT (2013): Biomechanical effects of knee orthoses: experimental characterization and modelling. Now Baptiste is research engineer at Mines Saint-Etienne (France): https://www.mines-stetienne.fr/author/pierrat/
15. Aaron ROMO (2014): In vivo mechanical properties of the aorta. Now Aaron is research and development engineer at Global D (France): https://fr.linkedin.com/in/aaron-romo-4b637a42
16. Laurianne IMBERT (2014): Effect of osteoporosis on the mechanical behaviour of the bone tissue
17. Fanny FRAUZIOLS (2015): Elastographic and biomechanical studies of soft tissues of the leg – Application to elastic compression. Now Fanny is research and development engineer at MedTech SA (France): https://fr.linkedin.com/in/ffrauziols
18. David PERRIN (2015): Patient-specific predictive simulations of endovascular interventions. Now David is CTO of Predisurge: http://www.predisurge.com
19. Catherine KOLLIA (2016): Characterization of morphological diversity using 3D analyses
20. Ambroise DUPREY (2016): Biomechanical analysis of aneurysms of the ascending thoracic aorta. Now Ambroise is professor at the University of Reims Champagne Ardennes (France).
21. Bilal MEREI (2016): Computational Modeling of Atherosclerotic Plaque Delamination Mechanisms and Rupture. Now Bilal is project manager at Spineway (France): https://fr.linkedin.com/in/bilalmerei
22. Sareh BEHDADFAR (2017): Image based inverse identification of material parameters in cardiac mechanics. Now Sareh is project manager at AlisPharm (France): https://fr.linkedin.com/in/sareh-behdadfar-7332b643
23. Witold KRASNY (2017): Characterization and multiscale modeling of the arterial mechanics. Now Witold is project manager at AlisPharm (France): https://fr.linkedin.com/in/witold-krasny-52492636
24. Phuoc VY (2018): Numerical simulation of aortic valve implantation
25. Sabrina BEN AHMED (2018): Computer fluid dynamics analysis of blood flows in bifurcated stent grafts. Now Sabrina is vascular surgeon at CHU Saint-Etienne (France): https://fr.linkedin.com/in/sabrina-ben-ahmed-b1408373
26. Solmaz FARZANEH (2019): Preoperative evaluation of local mechanical properties of aortic aneurysms. Now Solmaz is post-doc at Mines Saint-Etienne (France): https://www.mines-stetienne.fr/author/solmaz-farzaneh/
27. Aymeric PIONTECK (2020): Coupling 3D numerical simulations and intraoperative imaging for computer aided endovascular surgery. Now Aymeric is post-doc at Washington University (USA): https://fr.linkedin.com/in/aymeric-pionteck-91b10688
28. Mohsen NAKHAEI (2020): Micromechanical approach of remodeling in vascular mechanobiology
29. Nanjappa Manjunathan (2020 – cosupervisor with Magalie Viallon, PhD of University of Lyon): Quantification of brain perfusion in Magnetic Resonance imaging: methodological developments and simulations. Now Research Engineer at Siemens Healthineers.
30. Lucie Besch Salomon du Mont (2020 – cosupervisor with Simon Rickenbach, PhD of University of Bourgogne Franche Comté): EVAR treatment of infrarenal abdominal aortic aneurysm. Now Associate Professor (MCUPH) at University of Bourgogne Franche Comté (France).
31. Claudie Petit (2021): Multiscale characterization of proteolytic remodeling and its biomechanical effects in the aortic wall, funded by the Biolochanics ERC grant: https://www.mines-stetienne.fr/en/research/projects/biolochanics/
32. Joan Laubrie (2021): Finite-element modeling and patient-specific predictions of the growth and rupture of aneurysms of the ascending thoracic aorta, funded by https://www.conicyt.cl. Now Joan is a post-doc at http://www.fondazionerimed.eu/ with Antonio D’Amore.
33. Maria Nicole Antonuccio (2023) (co-supervision: Alexandre This, Laurence Rouet – Philips, Simona Celi - Fondazione Toscana G. Monasterio, within the https://meditate-project.eu ITN Project): Personalized Ultrasound-based hemodynamics simulations in the diseased abdominal aorta
34. Laure Tsimba (2023) (co-supervision: Miquel Aguirre, collaboration with the Sigvaris company – www.sigvaris.com): Study of the correction of static foot disorders on venous return in the case of chronic venous insufficiency
35. Marie Hoarau (2023) (from University of Lyon, supervisor: Romain Debret): Potential biological and mechanical effects on blood vessels of a synthetic elastic protein - Arterylastic project.
Visiting PhD students:
1. Mirunalini Thirugnanasambandam (2018, from UTSA, supervised by Ender Finol): On the use of patient-specific tissue mechanics for abdominal aortic aneurysm wall stress assessment. Now Miru is post doc at TU Eindhoven (Netherlands): https://research.tue.nl/en/persons/mirunalini-thirugnanasambandam
2. Matt Bersi (2018, from Yale University, supervised by Jay Humphrey): regional variations of mechanical properties of mice aortas, development of the virtual fields method. Now Matt Bersi is assistant professor at https://engineering.wustl.edu/faculty/Matthew-Bersi.html
3. Lauranne Maes (2019, from KU Leuven, https://www.kuleuven.be/kuleuven/, supervisor: Nele Famaey): Computation modeling of the role of smooth muscle cells in vascular adaptation
4. Marzio Di Giuseppe (2019-2020, from University of Palermo, www.unipa.it, supervisor: Salvatore Pasta): Biomechanics of thoracic aortic aneurysms and dissections. Now researcher at http://www.fondazionerimed.eu/
5. Maxence Maillet (2020, from UTC Compiègne, supervisors : Marie Christine Ho Ba Tho, Olfa Trabelsi) : Characterization of Skeletal Muscle using OCT.
6. Franziska Gantner (2021, from TU Wien, supervisor Aleksandr Ovsianikov): mechanical characterization of hydrogels
7. Ondřej Lisický (2021, from Brno University of Technology, supervisor Jiři Bursa): comparison between digital image correlation and image registration.
8. Alvaro Navarrete Rosales (2022, from University of Santiago de Chile, supervisors Claudio Garcia, Diego Celentano): finite-element modeling of growth and remodeling in soft tissues.
10. Andre Mourato (2023, from NOVA University Lisbonne, supervisor Jose Xavier): Machine Learning to Improve Computational Modelling of Fluid and Solid Interaction in Ascending Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm.
11. Juan Escobar (2023, from UTC Compiègne, supervisors : Marie Christine Ho Ba Tho, Olfa Trabelsi) : Characterization of Skeletal Muscle using OCT.
Current Post-Doc fellows
1. Aliakbar Karkhaneh (2020-2022), working on finite-element modeling of aortic smooth muscle cells.
2. Felipe Pires (2021-2024), working on the numerical simulation of the transformation of synthetic valve scaffold into a fully functional native tissue within http://www.siminsitu.eu.
3. Victor Acosta (2022-2023), working on the KAOMX project, assessing regional variations of mechanical properties in cells and tissues using OCT and DVC.
4. Chloé Techens (2022-2024), working on the QUMIN project funded by EUR Manutech, 3D traction force microscopy of aortic smooth muscle cells.
5. Aratz Garcia Llona (2022-2025), working on a digital twin of the lower limb for compression therapy.
6. Maha Reha (2023-2025), working on modeling lymphatic and venous drainage of the lower limb.
7. Shuangshuang Meng (2023-2024), working on identification of mechanical properties of blood vessels using full-field data in the VSTENT project “Patient-specific simulation for stent deployment from intravascular OCT”.
1. Jin-Hwan Kim (2009-2011), now research associate professor at Postech (Korea): http://gift.postech.ac.kr/bbs/board.php?bo_table=sub5_2&wr_id=1
2. Romain Rieger (2011-2012), now associate professor at Ecole Centrale Lyon (France) : https://www.ec-lyon.fr/contacts/romain-rieger
3. Frances Davis (2013-2015), now post-doc fellow at the University of Southampton (UK) : http://fmdavis.org/
4. Olivier Siret (2012-2014), now research and development engineer at ABISS (France): http://www.abiss.fr
5. Olfa Trabelsi (2013-2018), now assistant professor at Université de Technologie de Compiègne (France) : http://www.utc.fr
6. Francesca Condemi (2016-2018), now research and development engineer at CORWAVE (France): http://www.corwave.com
7. Jamal Mousavi (2015-2019), now research and development engineer at PREDISURGE: http://www.predisurge.com
8. Fanette Chassagne (2018), now assistant professor at Mines Saint-Etienne (France)
9. Yue Mei (2018-2019), now associate professor at Dalian University of Technology (China) : http://faculty.dlut.edu.cn/meiyue/en/index.htm
10. Miquel Aguirre (2018-2022), now Assistant Professor and María Zambrano Research Fellow at Laboratori de Càlcul Numèric (LaCàN), Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya and International Center for Numerical Methods (Spain)
11. Ataollah Ghavamian (2019-2020), now research and development engineer at FEOPS (Belgium): https://www.feops.com/
12. Jayendiran Raja (2017-2020), now research and development engineer at STRYKER (India): https://fr.linkedin.com/in/jayendiran-raja-86679921
13. Solmaz Farzaneh (2018-2020), now post-doc fellow at Mines Saint-Etienne (France): https://www.mines-stetienne.fr/author/solmaz-farzaneh/
14. Madge Martin (2020), now CNRS researcher at MSME UMR 8208, Université Paris-Est Créteil Val de Marne (France): https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Madge_Martin
15. Tristan Maquart (2020), worked on mesh reconstruction of aortic models, now post-doc fellow at INSA Lyon (UK)
17. Baptiste Brun-Cottan (2021), worked on multiscale modeling of mechanobiology in arteries and application to elastin deficiency and repair, now post-doc fellow at University of Toulouse (France).
Mentor of Habilitations (qualification for professorship)
1. Pierre Badel (2016)
2. Frédéric Turquier (2020)
3. Claire Morin (2023)